Saturday, October 30, 2010

Upcycling

My sister and I tried to start upcycling a few months ago. It didn't go so well. Something about her having the time but not knowing how to sew (or having a working machine) and me knowing how to sew but being an hour and a half away with no time kind of made for a bit of a flop. Someday we'll get started again with it. It was cool while it lasted.

But I just did a major cool upcycling project for Halloween, and I'm awfully proud of it.
 
This was the dress I started with. I didn't get a shot of the original hem, but it was straight and boring and about knee-length. The whole dress was a little bit on the "ugh" side.
This is post-hem job. I slashed it asymmetically and added some of the slashed fabric to the long end to make it longer. If you look closely you can see the seam.









And here is the dress, all finished and pretty. The detail doesn't come through really well in these pictures, so I'll have a roomie take shots of the finished costume tonight before we go out. But I'm pretty pleased with the difference between the original and the finished product. Upcycling is way cool!

3 comments:

  1. Did you see the purse Aimee painted - would it go with this dress? You are both amazingly creative!
    TBAITWWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, haven't seen it. I'll have to do a search. Aimee's stuff is just WAY cool. But I'm going to have to get pics of the finished outfit from my roomie so you can see the whole thing. She posted on Facebook but it doesn't show the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you upcycled that outfit, it looked great!! I still have tons of ideas for upcycling sometime in the future....:)

    ReplyDelete