Granddad: [Referring to a piece he read in the paper about donating to a traveling music program for schools] I want to support them. The love of music is dying out.
Me: I wouldn't say that. I know lots of people--
Granddad: You're talking about individuals. I'm talking about society as a whole. There's no music appreciation anymore.
Me: There is a LOT of music appreciation! It's everywhere. Those 'individuals' are the majority.
Granddad: I'm talking about when they took music programs out of schools. That's where kids get their first love of music. And without those programs, music is dying out.
Me: [Thinking of the brothers of my Young Charges, who play piano, drums and guitar; my friend across the country who was a concert pianist and teacher for a college music program; my friend who is able to make a living in this county by teaching piano; the rotating worship team at church that has enough people to always keep us with a pianist, acoustic guitar, base guitar and drums, and often with electric guitar, organ, saxaphone and violin; the kids' worship team at church which is composed of high schoolers who play piano, guitar and drums with great enthusiasm (and success); my many folk-dancing friends who cheer when they have a dance with live musicians; a friend who plays bagpipes at weddings and other events; street musicians; live music at Occupy events; kids who post song lyrics as Facebook updates; young people who quote oldies and old people who quote Rihanna; the popularity of such song and music shows as American Idol and Glee, not to mention the huge resurgence in musicals in the last 15 years; the number of "new artists" I hear about in my inbox and on the radio (and that's just CCM and R&B right now);...and all I can say to him is:] I disagree.
No comments:
Post a Comment